Tuesday, March 6, 2007

The Giver By Lois Lowry

As a closet science fiction reader, there was a lot for me to like about The Giver. The book was a breeze to read and I found myself immediately sucked in. It is impossible to imagine living in a world of "sameness", no color, no snow, no sunshine, no individuality, no choice. The thought of a group of elders choosing my mate, my children, my job...
This story explored many complex themes. Of primary importance to the story, are the exploration of the role memory plays in who we are and the importance of the individual over the "community" or the whole. Memories are both a blessing and a curse to us as human beings. Memories bring not only pleasure but pain. In the absence of memory, the society cannot prevent mistakes. So they give the memories to the Reciever so that he may guide them when they are confused. It is through memory that Jonas learns what love and family really are. To be void of memory is to be void of feeling.
The importance of the individual is explored when Jonas shows the power that an individual has. Jonas is able to change the lives of Gabriel, the Giver, and the community as a whole by returning their memories to them in the end.
The book presents many thought provoking questions. A pivital moment in the book comes when Jonas is given his rules and asked himself, "What if they all had been instructed: You may lie". Jonas was raised in a society where you did not lie. His world was shaken. If he was given those instructions, what if others had been too? He no longer knew what the truth is. The climax of this discovery occurs when he asks to see the "release" of one of the newborn twins. He watches in horror as his father takes the life of the newborn and disposes of him down a shute. I believe it is this one event that shapes the decisions that Jonas will make through the end of the novel.
Then, there is the end. Lowry has skillfully left the end up to the reader. What happened to Jonas and Gabriel? Did they discover the "Elsewhere" or was it an echo of a memory from the Giver and Jonas' and Gabriel's fate is to freeze to death in the snow.
What a powerful novel for middle school aged children. Just as Di Camillo does in her works, Lowery was able to capture the darkness within and without each of us.

5 comments:

Katie Grace said...

Good connection to Kate DiCamillo - to be honest I wasn't even thinking about it, and we just finished it last week. You said you're a closet sci-fi fan - what other kids books have you read recently or do you remember liking?

Elizabeth Lipp said...

The way that Lowry brings us into the book, makes you almost feel like you are Jonas. I felt as though I was "awakening" just like Jonas was, with each page I read. The more I found out about the community, the more I was astounded! I now want a sequel, but just like Jonas is going off to create a life in "Elsewhere", I have to use my imagination to determine how Jonas, Gabe, the Giver, and the community in general are going to live on. I thoroughly enjoyed this book!

Kimberly Brush said...

The power of memory in shaping a society was so thought provoking. I loved the way you summarized this. The incredible sense of responsibility the Keeper of Memories has to ensure that society does not make the same mistakes over and over again. What frightened me about this responsibility is that in our society we are all the Keeper of Memories - and so often we do not take this job seriously enough.

hjudson said...

Not being a closet science fiction fan, I found myself engrossed in The Giver. Lowry is such a powerful storyteller because she has the ability to integrate overarching themes about humanity through her strong character development. I was emotionally invested in Jonas and I felt as though I was taking the journey with him. When Jonas received the memories from the Giver, I could imagine the pain and joy that he felt. Lowry's descriptive language draws the reader into the characters' lives while addressing many pertinent themes. I agree that this would be a great read for middle school students.

Hillary said...

I was astounded by Jonas' realization that everyone could be instructed that they could lie, too. When Jonas was chosen as the next Giver I was surprised. I had not felt that Jonas was really "special" earlier in the book. I had known that his assignment would be pivotal to the book but I wasn't sure what the Elder had referred to with her statements about his character. (I believe that is because Lowry wrote from Jonas' perspective so-- he did not realize that he was special so neither did I) His realization about lying gave me a first glimpse at how special he was, such wisdom for a 12 year old. I was also astounded because I had not considered lying as a possibility in the society. Everything seemed so orderly and perfect-- I hadn't even considered that lying could be a part of that. As I read more, I began to see how the society could not have existed without a lot of lying. Everyone helped to keep everyone else in the "dark."