Wednesday, April 11, 2007

I Had Seen Castles By Cynthia Rylant

Up until now, I have not been a big fan of Cynthia Rylant's chapter books. Van Gogh Cafe and Missing May left me wanting something more. I Had Seen Castles was a well crafted, wonderfully written book. I could relate to the main character John Dante. I felt like we really got to know him and what makes him tick. I felt Rylant did a fantastic job capturing the thoughts and emotions of a 17 year old boy during World War II.
I also loved the way Rylant used the character of Ginny to present in a sympathetic way other opinions that existed during the war and then incorporated those ideas into life lessons learned by our main character during World War II.
Another aspect I found interesting about the book was the religious/moral undertones of this book, such as the conversation with Ginny about being religious and going to church. Ginny states she is very religious but doesn't go to church because "I just don't like God in a suit". Then later Ginny and John fight about going to war because Ginny doesn't believe in war and she asks John what has war got to do with religion.
Maybe, this book appealed to me because it was intended for an older audience, 12 and up or maybe it appealed to me because everything about the book rang true. My mother-in-law will be 83 this year. She often talks about the War and all her friends and boyfriends that were lost, pulling out old newspaper clipping and trinkets she had kept from that time. It is through those conversations that I have come to realize how everyone who lived through that time was deeply affected by its events and I think that Rylant has captured those feeling beautifully in this book.

3 comments:

Kimberly Brush said...

I had not thought much about the religious/ moral undertones of the book. I too was intrigued by Ginny's character and all that she represented. My only concern for the intended audience was how much of the book was John's emotional journey in the beginning. I didn't know if it would be enough to keep their attention. I definately saw it befitting older teens who can relate to more of those hormonal and emotional fears. Maybe kids at 12 are thinking about sex and mortality - if they are, please don't tell me. I have a few more years until my daughter reaches 12, and I'd like to stay in my bubble a little longer!

P.A. Collet said...

Ginny does softly question the value of war, but hers is the only voice we hear doing so. She represents the voice of conscience in a world turned upside down with fighting zeal and patriotic fervor. She never quite disappears from the story, but she never speaks again after John leaves for war.

When you mention your grandmother talking about her memories of the war, you told of her not forgetting what war was like. I think wars are permanent stains in a person's soul that can never be washed away.

Amber Lacy said...

I, too, had not enjoyed Rylant's chapter books up until this point. But this book was powerful and really got me hooked! I'm glad I read this book.

As Kimberly said, I too think the sexual side would be better for older teens. However, I teach 7th graders (12-13 years old), and I know they know a lot about sex and most of them would not be horrified by the images in the book. But, Kimberly - there is hope! I have several young innocent girls that would be horrified!